ZNP gives negative advice about the draft salary scheme for teachers.
The government-planned increase in teacher salaries, and only for beginning teachers, will not neutralize the negative effects of the loss of purchasing power of salaries in 2022.
After the entry into force of the new basic salary rates in September this year. will follow actual pay cut teachers for failing to maintain even the purchase value of teachers’ salaries, especially since base salaries for appointed and certified teachers do not change and remain at levels as of May 1 this year.
OPINION of the PA
Warsaw, July 27, 2022
mr. Przemyslaw Czarnek
Minister of Education and Science
- ordinance about the minimum rates of the basic salary for teachers, the general conditions for granting bonuses on the basic salary and the remuneration for work on non-working days,
- regulation on supplements to the basic salary and compensation for overtime and temporary replacement hours for teachers employed by schools of government agencies
– The Polish Teachers’ Association states that it does not meet expectations regarding the amount of the basic salary increase, especially regarding the basic salary of appointed and certified teachers. That is why we give a negative advice on the proposed design of the salary scheme for teachers.
1. The draft salary regulation, in the part specifying the minimum rates of the basic salary, not only does not take into account the postulate of the Polish Teachers’ Union regarding a 20% increase in the basic salary by 2022, but also does not foresee any increase in the basic salary. salary relative to the base salary for the appointed and certified teachers.
The Polish Association of Teachers calls for an equal increase in the minimum base salary for all degrees of professional promotion of teachers – with particular emphasis on the difference resulting from the degree of professional promotion of an appointed and certified teacher.
In connection with the above, during the negotiation talks on the salary scheme for teachers, held on July 19, 2022 at the Ministry of Education and Science, the Polish Teachers’ Association submitted proposals to increase the minimum rates of the basic salary for teachers by 20%. The relevant amendment to the law of June 23, 2022 amending the Act – Teachers’ Statute and some other laws regarding the increase of the average salary indicators of the PA was submitted to the chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Education and Sports.
The table of minimum rates of basic salary proposed in the content of the proposed regulation breaks the rule specified in art. 30 sec. 2 of the Act of January 26, 1982, the Teachers’ Charter (uniform text, Journal of Laws of 2021, item 1672, as amended) – hereinafter referred to as KN, which the level of the teacher’s basic salary depends, among other things, on the degree of professional promotion.
The proposed amount of the minimum amounts of the basic salary for appointed and certified teachers compared to the amount of the basic salary of a novice teacher – also does not comply with the principle of determining the amount of remuneration stated in art. 78 § 1 of the Law of June 26, 1974, the Labor Code (consolidated text, Journal of Laws of 2020, item 1320, as amended) – hereinafter referred to as the Labor Code, which states that the remuneration for the work should be determined in such a way that it corresponds to the type of work performed and the qualifications required for its performance.
Difference in the base salary of a starting teacher and the salary of an appointed teacher – is PLN 173 gross which is only 5% of the difference.
With regard to the regulation that will come into effect from 1 May this year. – the difference of the base salary between the student teacher and the appointed teacher was PLN 518, which was about 17% of the difference.
2. In the draft regulation an increase in the basic salary rates compared to the rates applicable from 1 May this year. averages 9.6 percentage points (11% percentage points for the teacher training rate and 8.11 percentage points for the contract teacher rate).
According to the statement of the Central Statistical Office of July 1, 2022, inflation in Poland reached 15.6% in June 2022, and in May – 13.9%.
Therefore, it must be assumed that the government-planned increase in teacher salaries, and only for novice teachers, will not neutralize the negative effects of the loss of purchasing power of salaries in 2022. After the entry into force of the new basic salary rates in September of this year. will follow actual pay cut teachers because the purchase value of teacher salaries has not even been maintained, especially because the base salaries for appointed and certified teachers remain unchanged and remain at the level of 1 May of this year.
3. A negative change, introduced for the first time in the wage regulation change that has been in effect since May 1 this year, is undoubtedly the flattening of the table of base salaries in terms of education level.
Contrary to the negative opinion of the PNA, the decision has been maintained to liquidate the last, lowest level of education, including the professional title of bachelor (engineer) with no pedagogical training, a diploma from a teacher training or foreign language teacher training and other education.
This category is combined with the professional title Master without pedagogical training, the professional title Bachelor (Engineer) with pedagogical preparation.
It is a change that is contrary to the principles for determining compensation as specified in Art. 30 sec. 2 of KN and art. 78 § 1 of the Labor Code
Particularly for teachers with a bachelor’s degree, the change will lead to an equal salary for teachers with a pedagogical training and for teachers who do not. Since, in principle, the lack of pedagogical preparation makes it possible to carry out educational work only in exceptional circumstances, the assimilation of remuneration rates seems to be contrary to the principle of equal treatment in employment.
Vice-chairman of the ZG ZNP
 https://stat.gov.pl/obszary-tematyczne/ceny-handel/wyszne-cen/ Szybki-szacunek-wkietanika-cen-towarow-i-uslug-konsumpacyjnych-w-czerwcu-2022-roku,8,70. html