KAS advises: what to pay attention to when you go on holiday

  • What and in what quantities we are allowed to transport across borders – both within and outside the European Union (EU) – is strictly regulated.
  • The quantities of some goods vary depending on whether we are traveling by land, sea or air.
  • The Tax and Customs Administration reminds you what you can and cannot have in your holiday luggage, so that you are not faced with unpleasant surprises.


If you enter or leave the European Union and you transport at least 10,000 euros (or its equivalent in another currency)you must declare these monies to the Customs and Tax Authorities or the Border Guard. There is no fee for the application and you can submit it onlineby going to the website puesc.gov.pl (link opens in new window).


You will not always be able to take local delicacies with you from holidays spent outside the EU.

Completely banned is the import of food? of animal origin, incl. meat, meats and dairy products. Such products may contain pathogens that cause infectious diseases in animals.

Also it is not allowed to import plants (e.g. potted plants, cuttings or flowers). Pests may be present on it, which will transfer to other plants.

You are also not allowed to bring fruit and vegetables with you. Only bananas, durians, pineapples, coconuts and dates are allowed† You will have to throw the rest of the fruits in a special container at the border – they will be thrown away.


How many and what kind of drugs are allowed in a suitcase when you travel by plane or other means of transport, and what can be a fine? For example, you should get this information on the embassy or government websites of the respective country† Each country has its own rules and restrictions in this area.

If you are taking medication psychotropic or intoxicating – you must obtain a permit from the Chief Inspector of Medicines for their export.

If you plan to bring medicines from another country, you can do so, but in quantities maximum 5 smallest packages the drug in question.

Remember that it is not allowed to send drugs in packages or letters.

Gifts and Souvenirs

Goods imported for personal or family use are exempt from customs duties and taxes, as long as their total value does not exceed:

  • 300 euros (if you travel by car, bus or train),
  • 430 euros (if you travel by boat or plane).

More information can be found at taxki.gov.pl (the website opens in a new window).

Tobacco products

Import from outside the EU

Tobacco products imported in personal baggage are exempt from import duties and taxes within the following limits:

  • Domestic transport:
    • cigarettes – 40 pieces, or
    • cigarillos (cigars weighing not more than 3 g / piece) – 20 pieces, or
    • cigars – 10 pieces, or
    • smoking tobacco – 50 g.
  • in air and sea transport:
    • cigarettes – 200 pieces, or
    • cigarillos (cigars weighing not more than 3 g / piece) – 100 pieces, or
    • cigars – 50 pieces, or
    • smoking tobacco – 250 g.

Imports from EU countries

  • 400 cigarillos (cigars weighing not more than 3 g/piece), or
  • 200 cigars
  • 1 kg smoking tobacco.


Import from outside the EU

Alcoholic beverages imported in personal baggage are exempt from import duties and taxes within the following limits:

  • 1 liter of alcohol above 22% or 2 liters of alcohol up to 22%, and
  • 4 liters of still wine and
  • 16 liters of beer.

For persons living in the border area and crew members of means of transport, these limits are as follows:

  • 0.5 liters of alcohol above 22% or 0.5 liters of alcohol up to 22%, and
  • 0.5 liters of wine and
  • 2 liters of beer.

Imports from EU countries

  • 10 liters – ethyl alcohol
  • 90 liters – wine and fermented drinks, including sparkling wine – 60 liters
  • 110 liters – beer
  • 20 liters – intermediates

To remind! The importation of tobacco and alcohol products to countries outside the EU is governed by the laws of these countries.

Pets on the go

To travel abroad with your pet, you must meet a number of requirements and remember the necessary documents. The rules vary depending on the species, as well as whether we are visiting a country that belongs to the European Union or traveling beyond its borders.

The transport of pets to EU countries is regulated by EU law. According to them “pet” are those who:

  1. belongs to one of the following species:
    • dogs,
    • cats,
    • ferrets,
    • invertebrates (except bees and bumblebees, and molluscs and crustaceans),
    • decorative aquatic animals,
    • amphibians,
    • reptiles,
    • birds, excluding poultry,
    • rodents and rabbits other than for food production.
  1. its movement is due to the necessity of moving the owner,
  1. cannot be sold or transferred to another person.

The animal may only be transported by the owner or a person who has written permission from him. In the case of dogs, cats or ferrets, it is also required that the pet be implanted transponderused to be vaccinated against rabies and he had the right one identification document

More information can be found at:

Exotic Souvenirs

Returning from exotic vacations, we should pay attention to what souvenirs we bring to the country. Many people buy jewelry, handbags and accessories made from animal skins, shells, medicines used in traditional medicine, regional clothing, home decorations or pieces of game. Meanwhile, they may include: fragments of plants or animals from endangered speciesprotected by the Washington Convention (CITES).

Illegal transport of protected specimens is an offense punishable by imprisonment from 3 months to 5 years. It is only possible on the basis of the relevant CITES permits and certificates.

More information can be found on the website ranicz.gov.pl (link opens in a new window).

Assistant Granica

When you go on vacation, make sure you cross the border smoothly. The Assistant Granica application is a proven source of information on the go. It is a virtual guide to the Polish border crossings.

Visit border.gov.pl, download the mobile application and discover more

Leave a Comment