Agnieszka Smoczyńska is the director of the film “Silent Twins”, which we will see soon in CannesPhoto: Rafał Guz / PAP
- The Polish presence will be clearly marked at the 75th Cannes International Film Festival. Not only because of Jerzy Skolimowski’s movie “IO” (“EO”), who fights for the Palme d’Or, but also because of Agnieszka Smoczyńska’s movie “The Silent Twins”.
- The director tells the true story of twin sisters, who for years only talked to each other and – although they spoke English – did not want to talk to the people around them, but kept silent when someone appeared. They became writers in the future.
- It is Agnieszka Smoczyńska’s first English-language film, which has already received international recognition thanks to “Daughters of dancing”.
How did Agnieszka Smoczyńska feel when she heard that her film “The Silent Twins” had been invited to the 75th Cannes IFF? – This is a great honor and I must admit that the moment when I found out, it was accompanied by great emotions, shock and happiness – says the director.
“The Silent Twins” qualified for the prestigious Un Certain Regard competition, which is aimed at artistically daring films. – The films in Un Certain Regard are usually distinguished by their original style and a special view of the world by the makers. This section was introduced in Cannes more than 40 years ago and is the second section after the main competition. Arthouse films, experimental and daring, are often shown there – explains Agnieszka Smoczyńska.
It started with “Daughters of Dancing”
Agnieszka Smoczyńska’s film is based on the true story of two sisters who had a special kind of communication with each other. How did the director get to know their story?
– Andrea Seigel, who wrote the screenplay based on Marjorie Wallace’s book, saw my movie “Daughters of Dance” in the US. She had been looking for a director for some time who could convey what she wanted to tell with her story about the Gibbons sisters. She contacted me directly and I must admit that, as from the summary itself, I loved this story immensely, and when I started reading the text I couldn’t put it back – reveals Agnieszka Smoczyńska.
Co-financed by #PISF the films “IO” by Jerzy Skolimowski and “Silent Twins” by Agnieszka Smoczyńska will be presented on @Festival_Cannes† The first of them will participate in the main competition and the second in the Un Certain Regard section.
Details here: https://t.co/Jpn8G1jtU8 pic.twitter.com/tPs37NPEq1
– Polish Film Institute (@filmsfrompoland) Apr 14, 2022
The native language of the black twins
– In the protagonists, I was very fascinated by their ambivalence and at the same time great sensitivity, sense of humor and the fact that they were cruel to themselves and the world, but also as victims. They were great artists who were doomed to destruction by the system. It should also be remembered that these are two black twins who grew up with their family in Wales and when they started school they stopped talking to the whole world. They only spoke to each other – says Agnieszka Smoczyńska.
The director adds that the heroines then “created their own closed world, which was full of fantasy, sense of humor, various literary heroes and their puppets”. – They tried to communicate with the world in this way, by writing and telling stories, and not by being like this every day – we hear.
The premiere of “The Silent Twins” will take place on May 24 in Cannes.
Program title: “Cultural One”
She led: Joanna Slawisska
Guest: Agnieszka Smoczyńska (director)
Release date: 18.05.2022
Time of broadcast: 23.41