The guy significantly exceeded the speed, received 2.5 thousand. PLN finePhoto: Police in Gorzów Wlkp.
- Currently, the lowest fine for a speeding violation of more than 31 kilometers per hour is PLN 800.
- From the beginning of September, a speeding offense of more than 30 km/h will be punished twice if this is done under conditions of recidivism.
- Fines for failing to give way, the most common cause of crashes, and for driving under the influence of alcohol have also been increased. These violations are considered dangerous and incidental. Speeding, giving way or incorrect overtaking are common, including anything else related to right-of-way and pedestrian behavior
The new ticket rates, effective from January 1, have also resulted in an increase in parking fees for people with disabilities without a permit on site. It is already PLN 800. The fine for using another person’s parking card and the card by an unauthorized person has also been increased.
– The changes we have proposed and which fortunately entered into force on January 1, 2022, have nothing to do with patching the budget. It’s not about money, it’s about life. We want to increase traffic fines for the most dangerous traffic offences, he says Rafał Weber, Deputy Minister of Infrastructure.
Rafał Weber emphasizes, however, that the Ministry of Infrastructure has not started increasing the fines, but has started investing in roads. It has been decided to build large-scale highways, expressways, ring roads, pedestrian and bicycle paths and provide extra lighting for pedestrian crossings, and to help finance local investments. – That’s where we started. Billions of zlotys are allocated for this purpose every year and these effects are visible to the naked eye – he explains. It was also decided to undertake educational actions and campaigns to inform motorists, pedestrians and cyclists.
– I put the third issue on an equal footing with the previous two, namely the amendment of the law. In June 2021, for example, give way to pedestrians entering a zebra crossing, prohibit driving on a bumper or standardize speed in built-up areas 24 hours a day. Now, from January 1, 2022, there have been many changes, mainly aimed at completely banning drunk drivers from Polish roads by increasing fines for this violation, creating a much more severe recidivism rate and in the future the seizure of the vehicle of a driver who got behind the wheel heavily drunk and caused a dangerous traffic accident, says the State Secretary for Infrastructure.
According to Rafał Weber, the statistics show that “there are fewer accidents, fewer casualties and fewer injuries.” – That’s what we mean. I hope this positive trend will continue in the coming months of this year and years to come – we hear.
Source: Pomeranian Police / New Tariff
“Take the Drunkard’s Keys”
Andrzej Markowski, a transport psychologist, points out the problem of drunk drivers. – I am always amazed at the belief that if a person is given a very severe punishment, he will change his behavior. He will do this when he knows that this punishment may befall him. But let’s take the example of an alcoholic who gets behind the wheel precisely because he or she is an alcoholic. She’s not thinking critically right now. We are all responsible for the behavior of road users. Our job is to prevent someone who is drinking from getting behind the wheel of a car, he notes.
Jedynka’s dude resembles the “Take the keys to the drunkard” action from years ago. – She had perfect results. Suddenly it turned out that we had a duty to enter this inaccessible area of someone else. Our intervention can save this person and those who encounter such an alcoholic driver – he explains Andrzej Markowski.
– This is not why Poland should drive more slowly and cross our western border, because there are terrible, unavoidable penalties. It’s not that good there. Only the others drive differently. If you step among the crows, you must croak like them. Otherwise you are a visible white crow against the black background. Anyway, it’s similar to foreigners crossing our western border. They have a cognitive dissonance with Nowy Tomyśl, between Nowy Tomyśl and Pozna they begin to get used to what happens on our roads, while driving behind Pozna is almost the same as Poland – admits the psychologist.
Source: National Road Safety Council / Alcohol i keyki? out of question
We are afraid of punishment
Are bravado and irresponsibility on the road a sin? – For a believer it is a sin to transgress God’s commandment, that is all that constitutes a conscious and voluntary transgression – replies Fr. Jerzy Kraśnicki, Deputy National Chaplain for Drivers.
– Our behavior largely depends on the inner sense of responsibility. Of course, when the sword of Damocles hangs over us, we become more polite and fear the consequences of our behavior. It is sometimes a motivation that is very imperfect from a religious point of view, because we fear punishment. The whole gospel is about love, not scaring hell, the expert adds.
The chaplain draws attention to the human side, which makes human behavior dependent on the threat of punishment, including a high mandate. – Man is not afraid of other consequences. Such as causing a traffic accident, accident victims or the death of another person. What many don’t realize is that the speed, intoxication or psychoactive substances can cause serious road traffic hazards, he says.
– From a pastoral point of view we try to reach out in a different way. With the inauguration of the vehicles in July, this is an opportunity to teach and shape these attitudes. We are also planning and we have started preparing the catechesis based on the driver sticker to include this topic in the catechesis. After all, road travel is a big part of our human activity – we hear.
Program title: Where is mister Cogito
She led: Masgorzata Raczyńska-Weinsberg
Guests: Rafał Weber (Deputy Minister of Infrastructure), Andrzej Markowski (Transport Psychologist), Fr. Jerzy Kraśnicki (Deputy National Chaplaincy for Drivers)
Release date: 19.02.2022
Time of broadcast: 15.10