New recipes for dog owners: From January 1, 2022, dog owners will have new rules regarding, among other things, the maintenance, care and breeding of these animals. “Pets are not stuffed animals – their needs must be taken into account,” former Agriculture Minister Julia Klöckner told Deutsche Presse-Agentur.
New recipes for dog owners† Gassi – Gesetz 2022
The previous dog ordinance in 2001 was increasingly criticized. The authorities have decided to intervene and the result is the new Gassi-Gesetz law, which, among other things, regulates walking the dogs. People who don’t keep track of time on daily walks with their dogs may be breaking the law.
These are the most important changes at a glance:
- The dog must be in contact with the handler “several times a day for a sufficient amount of time”
- The dog must be in regular contact with other dogs
- Dogs kept indoors should be given an ‘outside view’.
- The dog must be able to run outside the kennel at least twice a day for a total duration of at least one hour
- In commercial dog breeding, one handler can care for up to three litters at a time.
- Daily contact with puppies should last a minimum of four hours. This applies to commercial growers as well as private owners.
- It is forbidden to put on straps and keep dogs tied up.
- The ban on dog shows is not limited to purebred shows, but covers all events where dogs are judged, tested or compared, such as breeding performance tests and dog sports competitions.
>>>> A singing dog from Poland is a hit on the internet
Sanctions for dog owners
Dog owners should now be prepared for checks – informs the portal kreiszeitung.de. However, it is not known exactly how they should be performed.
>>> Entering Germany with pets. Binding rules for traveling with pets
The level of penalties for so-called “administrative violations” is determined by the federal states themselves. In addition, there is a national list of penalties for “animal cruelty”, which includes:
† Germany: The dog warned his owner about the fire, he himself died in the flames
- Bullying a dog: a criminal offense according to § 17 TierSchG (Animal Protection Act); shall be punished by a fine or imprisonment not exceeding three years; the animal is collected; no re-ownership of animals.
- Killing a dog: criminal offense according to § 17 TierSchG; fine or imprisonment not exceeding three years; no re-ownership of animals.
- Neglect of the dog, e.g. not feeding: criminal offense according to § 17 TierSchG in combination with § 13 StGB; fine or imprisonment not exceeding three years; the animal is collected; no re-ownership of animals.
- Bullying a dog: Administrative offense; ticket procedure, fine up to 25,000 euros; the animal is collected; no re-ownership of animals.
- Leaving the dog: Administrative offense; a fine of a maximum of € 25,000.
- Theft, sale or misappropriation of a dog: various penalties provided for in the Criminal Code; fine or imprisonment.
- Production or distribution of pornographic material with the participation of animals: punishable according to § StGB 184 a; fine or imprisonment up to three years
- Failure to comply with the obligation to keep the dog on a leash: fine imposed by the municipal office.
- Not cleaning up dog poop: fine imposed by the municipal office.
- Letting your dog run without a collar in public places: fine set by the municipal office.
- Failure to comply with the general duty of supervision: In case of damage, the owner is responsible for the actions of the dog. If the dog attacks someone, the owner could be convicted of personal injury or manslaughter.
>>>> The sunniest cities in Europe. Where is it worth planning a vacation?
Source: Kreiszeitung, Polish Observer