A 48-year-old American was eager to show love to his four-legged pets by kissing them and having them lick his face. The man was not feeling well and came to the hospital with symptoms that he thought were the flu or a bad cold. After extensive investigation, 48-year-old Greg Manteufel was found to be infected with Capnocytophaga canimorsus, ie. a very rare bacteria found in a dog’s saliva† The infection caused by the pathogen began to progress very quickly. The man first had high blood pressure, then circulatory problems in the limbs. As a result, they had to be amputated. Greg also lost part of his nose and upper lip, which were also infected. Doctors admitted that such a reaction to infection is quite rare, especially in a healthy person like Manteufel. Nevertheless, Sr.Specialists warn dog owners not to kiss or lick their faces because you never know how your body will react to contact with bacteria.
Even if our four-legged friend is regularly examined and vaccinated, there is still a risk of contracting dangerous diseases. There are quite a few dangerous pathogens.
The most common diseases that can be contracted through direct contact – for example, kissing or petting a dog and then failing to wash its hands are echinococcal tapeworm and canine tapeworm. Dogs are their last hosts, but tapeworms are also willing to parasitize humans. In this case, the path of infection is simple. It is enough that the dog has contact with the feces in which there is a tapeworm and the parasite will be on its hair. From there, maybe a man kissing or petting his pet without washing his hands and touching his mouth with them afterwards.
In the case of canine tapeworm, the disease it causes (dipylidosis) is quite rare and usually asymptomatic. It may appear as rectal itching, which is caused by the secreted members of the tapeworm.
In the case of echinococcosis, the matter is more complicated and more dangerous† Although the symptoms do not appear immediately, and sometimes an infection with them is revealed during tests, sometimes its presence can cause abdominal pain and its distention, as well as fever. When the echinococcal tapeworm affects the lungs, it can become short of breath and even cough and sputum with blood present.
Also read: Can the dog sleep in bed?
Yes the serious illness is caused by an infection with the bacterium Pasteurella multocidawhich is found in the upper respiratory tract of pets such as dogs, cats and cattle. The pathogen is not only transmitted to humans through contact with the dog’s saliva, but also through a bite or scratch.
After the pathogen is transferred, inflammation can develop, which develops as a result of contact with the bacteria, it can be local and occur only in the area of the skin and subcutaneous tissue. Generalized inflammation is more dangerous, leading to symptoms typical of the common cold and flu, such as fever, headache and pain in the sinuses, enlarged lymph nodes, sore throat and cough. However, the symptoms can be much more severe and unusual, such as facial pain, palpitations, shortness of breath, visual, speech and sensory disturbances. This infection can lead to very serious complications related to arthritis, meningitis, and even sepsis.
Also check: The most dangerous diseases in dogs
Another bacteria that can be easily transmitted from dogs to humans is helicobacter pyloril. Its place of existence is the digestive system, it is also present in saliva, which is why it is so easily transferred to its next victims.
The symptoms of infection with this bacteria primarily include conditions related to the digestive system, such as heartburn, flatulence, belching, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and bad mouth odor. However, the course is often asymptomatic, which is dangerous because the chronic inflammation caused by the presence of this bacteria in our digestive system promotes complications that can even lead to stomach ulcers or cancer.
Five things to make your cat really happy
Your dog should know these commands. It could save his life!
Be careful. Your dog knows when you are lying